June 21, 2016

[TRANS] GEEK July 2016 Issue - Nichkhun






You look like an LA youngster who comes to Cuba for a vacation. You really suit this free-spirited place. Really. I really feel that I’m overseas here. The weather is also bright today (June 10th). The place is also beautiful so I’m feeling really good. It will be my birthday soon. I wish I can have a party here.

June 24th is your birthday, right? Have you planned anything for the party? Other celebrities often invite more than 50 people and have huge birthday parties. However, I don’t really like such complicated and huge parties. I prefer a calmer party in which I can eat and watch movies at home, together with people closest to me. I think I will only invite around five people for my party.

Who will you invite? 2PM members and... Oh? That’s already five people. I wish to invite the hyungs with whom I work out so I will have to make several parties.

Not long ago, you released a travel photo book <Journey, Map that Embraces the Wind> with actor Lee Jungjin. How did the project begin? I was talking with Jungjin hyung about a lot of things when we found out that we have something in common, which is photo and travelling. We were joking when we said, “Should we go on a trip, take some pictures and release a book? An exhibit would also be interesting.” However, the vice president liked our idea so it turned into a business project.

There are many celebrities who use ghostwriters because they are not professional writers, did you write by yourself? That’s not the case. The editor-in-charge left with us and the speech was arranged through interview style in the script. The pictures with both of us in it were taken by a photographer who accompanied us. I think the book came out well because the professional helped us a lot.

We could at least find out who Nichkhun and Lee Jungjin are through the book. If it were a mere photo book, I could just release it during concerts. It’s not only a book that contains cool pictures. We wanted to release a book that can tell others who we are and how we live. The book does not simply talk about us being an idol and an actor. Instead, it talks about us as ordinary individuals with bad and good.

I bought the book and there was a book-signing coupon inside. It is for fan service. Fans are very important to me so I want to treat them well in everything. However, a line also needs to be drawn. I’d like it to be quiet when I’m having my personal time or when I have a company so I refuse to take pictures or give signatures. I believe that a principle is needed.

Not long ago, you had a bag design collaboration with particular brand. You not only lent your name but also participated in the designing process. I think it is a meaningless work to only lend my name. If I had, I would not have been able to say that I’m the one who made it. It’s not my specialty so I could not work on everything by myself. I put my ideas first, then I drew and until the product was completed, my opinions were actively reflected on the smallest things.

I think your honesty is something that keeps you popular for a long time. At the beginning, it was only my appearance. I admit that. Before JYP audition, I was nothing but a worriless and irresponsible teenager. I had to change. I desperately practiced my Korean, dancing and singing because I hated hearing, “you’re nothing but looks.” I had no choice but to show myself developing little by little so I wouldn’t hear those words. Fortunately, the fans appreciate my effort now. More than anything, there are people in Thailand who think of me as a hero for being a Thai who is active as a South Korean idol so I always feel responsible not to let them down. I have to be careful with every action I take.

I feel you have entirely changed since your debut. In which area do you think that you have developed? I think I have become wiser and more mature. My job is being a celebrity and I’m a singer but I’m still a person. I realized that it is essential to find what I want instead of getting buried in my job. Previously, I work to please people but now I work in order to satisfy and make myself happy.

When are you happy? I’m a freeman. I don’t follow strict rules. I still hold what I have to but I try not to be stuck with the standard. It is frustrating to always follow others. Don’t I have to be comfortable and natural to appear so in the eyes of others?

But you will have to put yourself into the standard people expect from you on the stage though? Don’t people expect handsomeness and charms from idols on stage? They demand those because of my job, not because of me as an individual. I don’t think that will change.

Your role is always to be handsome. Do you become discouraged by your plainness when you have no schedule? I am not. I also have no objection of being seen with no make-up. It’s just that I don’t go out often. I don’t really like crowded places so I enjoy being home. I would wear hat when I have to go out but it’s not to cover anything. When I want to wear a hat, I just put it on.

It seems that you balance the gap between you as a celebrity and individual well. I love both sides of myself. However, I also experience self-denial in both. Dissatisfaction is needed to develop. I never stop asking myself questions and looking for problems. I do them in order to love myself more. I think in order to become better, a person must not be easily satisfied with himself and love himself more at the same time.

What about other people? I think consideration is very important. Through others’ opinion, you can prevent harmful situations. Although I can’t do that when arguing about impossible things, I always put others’ opinion ahead of mine in other situations. I pretend to not know when they are wrong.  

Won’t you be let down so many times like that? Especially in the entertainment industry. I have learnt the trick to not be disappointed by most people. I don’t put any expectation. The entertainment industry is a business run by lots of people. Because of that, I think we have to concede and be more considerate when working with others unless it’s a critical matter. It’s common in this industry that when you don’t hit it off with someone, you will probably not meet him again. When I particularly have to express my opinion, I will have to see that person constantly. In that case, I will express my opinion slowly and little by little to change him.

It is quite sad that you said you don’t have any expectation so you won’t be disappointed by others. I became untrusting of people. It seems like it can’t be helped since I work surrounded by many people. I recently started living on my own but I didn’t feel at ease that I couldn’t hire a maid. So, I do all of the house chores by myself. It is difficult and tiring but I love cleaning, fortunately. I also clean the bathroom myself. I get on my knees and wipe everything clean happily. I also like shopping so instead of ordering in, I go to buy food myself. Even though I order in, I will also make some simple dish.

You said, “I’m lucky” a lot before this interview. Regardless of all your weariness, do you always think that your life is lucky? Although I made efforts, I think I got where I am because of my great luck. There are more people who are better and hard-working than I am but I managed to be where I am now. There is no other explanation other than being lucky.

Although you must have gotten a lot of things, is there anything you are not able to get? I saw an interview in which you daringly declared your ambition to be an actor representing Asia in the Hollywood someday. I don’t think that can be achieved with effort only. The opportunity may someday come if I’m doing well at where I am now. It would be good if I could achieve that with a good luck, but I will have no regret otherwise. I would still have the experience of trying my best at my current position. If we’re talking about dream, I would like to release a solo album someday.

Is there any object that you haven’t been able to get yet? Haha, a watch. Since a few years ago, I have vaguely thought about getting a good watch but I’ve been thinking more about it recently. I have a particular watch in mind. It comes with a leather band and I really like it. Although it’s not decorated with diamonds or extremely expensive, it can’t be considered cheap too. It’s a product of I brand. I’m originally the type to think a lot before buying stuff. I even spent one and a half year thinking before buying my first car. Though I spend well on food, I can’t buy things if I don’t really like them.

So it is not only a mere money issue when you put on a watch. I heard you’re also outspoken regarding donations. You must have done a lot more donations without people knowing, right? As the teaching of Buddhism also says, I think that people should share (with others) what they have. My mother also does a lot of good deeds in Thailand. She frequently calls me too. She would say, "Nichkhun, I went to some hospital and I think they need more beds." Then, I would answer "I think they do. How about we give them ten of it?" I do not consider that as a waste of money at all.

scan sources: pictures interview




2 comments: