April 16, 2015

[TRANS] 150317 'Twenty' Lee Junho Interview by OSEN

‘Twenty’ Lee Junho, “Seeing My Acting Made My Toes Curl”[Interview Part 1]

Resultingly, an exact timing. Group 2PM’s member, Lee Junho debuted as an actor through ‘Cold Eyes’ which was released in 2013. Though he had a late start compared to other members, he got positive results. Despite his brief apperance as Squirrel, the ace of the surveillance team in the movie, he left a strong impression. That was the beginning of ‘Acting-Idol’ Lee Junho.


Movie ‘Twenty’ (Directed by Lee Byeonghun, Produced by영화나무) which is going to be released on upcoming 25th will be his second workpiece. Moreover, it will be his first lead role. The role he plays is Dongwoo, a poor repeater who balances the relationship between his two friends, bold and lively unemployed Chiho (Kim Woobin), clumsy model student Kyungjae (Kang Haneul) and him. Listen to stories about ‘Twenty’ starting with Lee Junho’s “I wonder how it would be if Dongwoo had been more broken.”

-You had a successful debut through your previous workpiece ‘Cold Eyes’


 “I was so shocked that I got praised that much. It was something I couldn’t even imagine. As said by the fans, I appeared for about 7 minutes in ‘Cold Eyes’. I managed to get praised that much even when I only appeared for 7 minutes in 2 hours running time. I think the role itself was good that it made me shine. I’ve always wanted to act. But I didn't have the chance and I didn't have the confidence to go for it. ‘Cold Eyes’ was an opportunity that came with a great timing.
    
-Even though you shot ‘Memories of The Sword’ before ‘Twenty’, ‘Twenty’ ended getting released first. How was the completed movie.

“When I watch the movie through my character, I felt regret. I had been in 3 movies and this is my first lead role so I have many worries. It’s hard and it made my toes curl to keep on watching my acting. I can’t watch the scenes confidently.”


-Is Dongwoo less broken than Chiho or Kyungjae.


“I wonder how it would turn out if Dongwoo had been more broken. Dongwoo is a composed character out of the three but he’ll undoubtedly become a broken figure when they are put together. Woobin and Haneul fought on their own, and I wonder how if I had given more strength to help. There are still a lot of characters which I have not tried. I want to show my potential first and then try various roles.”

-You worked together with actor Lee Byunghun in ‘Memories of The Sword’ and with director Lee Byeonghun in ‘Twenty’. How was director Lee Byeonghun.


“He’s cool. In the beginning, I attempted to start a conversation with the director and I had thought that he’s not happy to meet me then. (laughs) I wondered if he’s shy of strangers but it turned out that his personality has always been like that. He talked about everything without a change of expressions, he is a really interesting person. Later on, I became comfortable around him.”



-Dongwoo went through discouragement for the difference between his ideal and reality. How did you immerse into the character.

“I went through training period since I was 17 until I was 19 years old, it was hard. I wanted to give up. I ever thought that I was just doing it uselessly. But since competition existed in trainee period, I thought about anything but myself. I wanted to leave the company with my own feet but, I felt reluctant. I also thought about my family. I think Dongwoo has it way harder than me. That’s how I immersed into the character. Though our level of hardship is different,  it’s still a conflict between ideal and reality.” 



-You acted as a twenty years old in the movie, you must have got reminded of your own twentieth age period.


“I debuted as a member of 2PM when I was 20. To me, my twentieth age was only about ‘2PM’. Though I was happy that I reached my dream then, mine was not ordinary twentieth age. It became a great happiness for me to be able to go back to that time I passed while shooting for this movie. Dongwoo is also a character that can bring you back to your worries. I think the audiences who are in their 20s will be able to relate through Dongwoo.  Not dark and heavy. I don’t say “I won’t cry.” If I were to go back to my past, I won’t trap myself in it. To think about it now, I was really young back then but I got a strong sense of responsibility from turning into adult at the same time.”  

-If you were to compare the past and the present, are they really different.


“They are really different. My passion and ambition stay the same but they became buried. Let’s say something like “I got edited out on a broadcast”, I don’t know if it’s actually mine or not but my firy personality has disappeared. Before, I would ponder on it when I felt unfair. Now, I’m one to tell stories flexibly.”

-The pathetic twentieth age also appeared in ‘Twenty’. What was 20 years old Lee Junho’s patheticness.


“Everything seems pathetic when I look back at the past. Like when I saw the photos of mine from the past, the trend clothes, styles at that time now look pathetic. ‘Why did I put chains on my pants?’, ‘Why did I wear tank tops?’ those are what come into my mind. I laughed and talked about those fashion in the past while drinking with some close hyungs. There are more embarrassing things but I think I want to talk about this in a talk show in the next 10 years.”

-In the movie, Dongwoo has friends, younger brother and a lover. How was Lee Junho’s love life back then.


“I’ve never had a proper relationship after I debuted. I’m not single since birth though. They have no charm. (laughs) I’m a healthy young Korean man so I also experienced that feeling but I have never had a relationship that progresses properly. It is really unfortunate. People still date even when they are busy but strangely for me, I don’t have enough strength to go out at night. There are things I also limit myself from during these past 5 years for my job. Even I want to date, I don’t think it will work out. I’m the type to fall deeply once I fall for something so I don’t think I want that. I became 27 years old after getting a hold of myself.”



-You will also have to enlist in military someday.


“I have to go someday but I don’t want to think about enlisting now. (laughs) I’ve now started as an actor so I want to do many workpieces. I want to try them all regardless of the genre. Be it a student with uniforms, psychopath, or characters who don’t speak, I have an ambition to try them all. I think you have to improve quickly in order not to ruin anything in the movies.”

‘Twenty’ Lee Junho, “I Want to Set a Mark as an Actor”[Interview Part 2]

The word ‘Acting-Idol’ comes with an unintentional prejudice. When one’s cast beyond his means for the reason of being an idol, people will definitely think less of his ability. Thus he will be evaluated with an even harsher standard, being judged for his insincere manner. But Im Siwan who acted in movie ‘The Attorney’ (2013) and tvN drama ‘Misaeng’ (2014) has shattered that prejudice.
  

Group 2PM’s member Lee Junho was discovered in the movie ‘Cold Eyes’ (2013). Despite his brief appearance, he carried out his share faithfully in heightening the movie tension. Some of the audience also gave him with not-praise-like-praise, “I didn't know he’s an idol, I thought he’s a new actor.” While ‘Cold Eyes’ was a workpiece that showed actor Lee Junho’s potential, ‘Twenty’ in which he’s the lead role, has been a test for Junho’s recognition as an actor. “I want to set a new mark as an actor.” Listen to the story about ‘Twenty’ starting from Lee Junho who is overflowed with ambition and resolutions.

-Are you close with Kim Woobin and Kang Haneul who have the same age as yours. 



“Yes. I didn't know both of them at all before. They had had a project together but it was my first time with them. I expected distance between us but since we are naturally honest and easy going, we’re able to converse well. We converse with nothing hidden. The fact that we are same-aged also effected on our synergy. Our conversations mostly end with the stories about our work. We mostly talk about work. We talk a lot about it because the three of us are all working. We are not ones to talk about girls like we did in the film. (laughs)”


- An interesting relationhip between the three of you was shown in the movie. How is it in reality. 


“Our characters are similar in reality. Woobin jokes around a lot, Haneul is always bullied. I sometimes just listen and go along, like in the movie. Haneul is naturally a good friend. When he had a good mood after wrapping up the shoot for the day, he would go drinking with the staff. He originally does a lot of aegyos but there was one day when he did aegyo as he was really happy, he went out of the building and called all the staff to come out. Haneul became a shouting-morning-call for the staff who had all-nighters. (laughs)”

-Despite Kang Haneul’s role, Kyungjae’s gentle personality in the movie, he became a 180 degree different person when he drinks. Is Haneul like that in reality.


“Not at all. Haneul and Woobin drink well. In the case of Haneul, it’s until the point that he can’t feel himself getting drunk. For me, I can’t drink, until the point I’m starting to flush. I drank the soju given by the film company’s representative and it got hard after the fourth glass that I stopped.”



-The three of you had a great friendship that you spent last Christmas together.



“Haneul, Woobin, CNBlue’s Jonghyun, and I, the four of us met. I actually drank once in a while but those three were already drinking glasses after glasses. Even we ourselves were like, ‘what are we even doing now?’ We were at a good drinking place but we got annoyed at each other since the four of us were all men. (laughs)”


- How was it partnering with Lee Yubi, who’s in charge of the role Sohee, Kyungjae’s younger sister. Both you appear as a really cute couple.


“Yubi is cute in reality. Her character itself. There is no difference. She’s lively, she does aegyo and bounces here and there. Yubi was born in 1990 and she called me oppa eventhough I’m an early 1990-er.”

-In the movie, 소소반점(the setting in this scene) became a hiding spot for the leading roles. In the later half of the movie, the fight between you and the scamps was impressive.


“It has a stilled scene, I was hung with a wire and I had to stay still for one minute without blinking. I had to open my eyes for one and a half minute that they got teary, it was so hard that I eventually let out some tears. When the camera came close, I opened my eyes wider and I slightly closed them when the camera went back. It’s totally not filmed like in the drama ‘You Who Came From the Stars’. (laughs) Looking back now, I think those parts are the charms of our movie. We don’t give the lame feeling intentionally. It’s the director’s color.”

-It is quite pleasant to see you fighting, recklessly entangled together.

“I filmed a splendid action of martial art in ‘Memories of The Sword’. I did it as well this time. When the martial art instructor came, he only said ‘Just fight.’. It made me relaxed. Even the guys who played as the scamps joked ‘Please hit us first because we’re strong.’ I had fun while filming. I also thought ‘So you can film like this’ on things. The setting was at the 소소반점 but we had to gather and film for a week. We laughed at each other so there were a lot of NGs. There was a scene where Woobin threw money at me and the money went straight into the hood of my hooded tee. Everyone exploded into laughters and it was a mess.”


-Chiho, who was played by Kim Woobin and Kyungjae, who was played by Kang Haneul have their own distinct personalities. If you were to compare them to 2PM’s members.


“Kyungjae is Taecyeon hyung. One who knows love by learning. They are smart but only smart. (laughs) None of the members goes for relationships like Chiho. If being outgoing counts then it’s Jun. K hyung, if being bold counts then it’s Wooyoung. He’s serious but he lets out very bold statements now and then that it catches you off-guard.”   

-After singing, dancing and of course composing songs, you’re now acting. What is the appeal of each.


“I’m most attached to singing because it’s what I’ve been dreaming since I was young. It is a great delight to be able to stand on the stage with the audience giving response during the concert. It is the happiest moment for me. When it comes to writing and composing, I feel my own happiness, and I’m very satisfied to have 2 hours concerts filled with the songs which I wrote and composed. For acting, I’m just starting so I feel I’m becoming a rookie again. I have that confidence to pull off everything I do. I’m overflowed with ambition. It’s like ‘everything just come at me’ feeling.”

-Your goal as an actor and a singer.


“It is my dream to be able to do the job I like, both as a singer and an actor, for a long time. I think I can act too. I want to feel the things I feel as a member of 2PM, as an actor as well. I hope that I can set a new mark as an actor once. I wish to be an actor with great name.”   



-Many idols have tried acting. What would be the charms that only Lee Junho has?



“Freshness? I have freshness both as a member of 2PM and as an actor. I have a face that doesn’t draw attention from my surrounding and I consider it as my strong point, I did say that I had no charms in the beginning. But looking at it now, I think it was a good thing to say.”



-What side of you will you show in ‘Memories of The Sword’ which is to be released this year.

“Very different one from ‘Twenty’. Though I won’t appear too much, my appearance is surely going to be cool. (laughs)”




Source: 1 2'

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for translating and sharing this article! Very much appreciated ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came here after watching Joon Ho in Just between Lovers. Interesting but I think in years to come, his interview will be of more depth.
    I look forward to watch him act.
    I think the PD of Just Between Lovers has a good eye for talents. FIGHTING!

    ReplyDelete